Nostalgia is a strange emotion. All of us are nostalgic about things from our childhood. That doesn’t mean those things are any good. How many times have you rewatched a “classic” movie only to find that it didn’t hold up? Happens to all of us. Nostalgia isn’t not so much about the thing you used to love, but about who you used to be.
Even stranger, you can be nostalgic about things from your childhood that objectively sucked! For me, nothing makes me feel like a kid again quite like the sound of dial-up Internet, even though dial-up Internet has rightfully gone the way of the dinosaurs.
So today we’re going to remember some things from the 90’s that we don’t want to come back, but nevertheless make us feel like kids again. Let’s all try to recapture our youths by remembering the crappy parts! (via Bored Panda.)
1. An artifact from an ancient civilization. Nobody remembers what it was used for.
2. Everyone’s thumbs were so much stronger.
3. Oh, y0u want fresh air? Prove it.
4. “Mouse” just means “small rodent” again.
5. This was your iTunes.
6. All we wanted was to steal some music. Was that so wrong?
7. If you don’t already know about the struggle of “the manual rewind,” there’s no way I could explain it to you.
8. Thrilling games of “Did my CD actually get burned?”
9. Everyone was an explosives removal expert.
10. 2019: I can’t find anything on Netflix! 1999: all the new releases are already taken!
11. I have several movie downloads from the 90’s that are still downloading today.
12. We can still hear the sound in our dreams.
13. What do siblings even have to fight over in 2019?
14. Romeo and Juliet never had to deal with this b.s.
15. Your worst nightmare.
Ahhhhh, the 90’s…