There’s a lot more that goes into being a librarian than checking out books and telling people to be quiet. Depending on the size and specialty of a library, a librarian’s job can includes several tasks that you might not think about. It’s a massively complicated job, because you have to acquire, classify, organize, and maintain thousands upon thousands of books. A librarian is often required to provide information to the general public–basically, human Google. Now that we live in the information age, a librarian needs familiarity with various sophisticated computer systems. And that’s just the beginning.
Being a librarian is really like having several jobs in one. So it might be a bit surprising to learn that librarians are also some of the most creative and funny people around. Here are 15 librarians making the library even more delightful than it already is. (via Bored Panda).
1. They’re masters of wordplay.
2. Honestly, this whole article could just be library puns.
3. Fear the Book Reaper.
“Every year my school’s librarian dresses up as a ‘book reaper’ to collect overdue books.”
4. Reading is the best medicine.
5. Being funny and promoting literacy? Score.
6. You’d think the library is a chill place. And you’d be wrong.
7. Ever help someone find a book when they have no idea what it’s about? That’s being a librarian.
8. Don’t get on a librarian’s bad side.
“My local library is taking people’s mugshot.”
9. This librarian is the hero the library deserves AND the hero it needs.
Note: that’s mostly true about Batman, unless the book was published by Penguin.
10. Sir Reads-A-Lot
11. Nice save.
12. Keep an eye on your property, or you might get roasted.
13. Welcome to the library. Did you me some bamboo?
The story: “Sometimes I wear my panda hat to work. This is what it looks like to everyone walking into the library.”
14. Pure magic.
“My wife is a high school librarian and one of her students lost a turtle in the library earlier in the week. Today he was found…She swears this picture wasn’t staged.”