I can’t be the only person out there who stinking loves vintage photographs, right? There’s something so cool and also comforting about visual proof that human beings lived and loved before us and managed to do it, in most cases, pretty darn well.
As someone who chose and was able to breastfeed my son for the first year of his life, I can tell you that our society hasn’t come as far as we think we have when it comes to the topic. Sure, people seem to have accepted that breastfeeding is best if mom and baby can manage it, but that doesn’t mean they want to actually see it in public.
We only like our boobs hanging out of sexy bras, dontcha know?
In all seriousness, I have to say that running across these 10 vintage photos that show mothers not only nursing happily, but doing it in public and in front of cameras without the slightest trace of shame made me very happy.
10. This is a gorgeous photograph
9. The classic balancing act between elder and younger
8. This woman is proof that you don’t have to sacrifice fashion to nurse your baby!
7. There’s nothing better than that sweet, shared look
6. Pay attention, baby!
5. Fresh air is good for both of you!
4. I love that this is the moment she wanted to capture in a formal portrait
3. It may be natural, but that doesn’t always mean it’s easy
2. Nursing older infants has its challenges…and its rewards!
1. Happy little nugget
Mom goals, am I right?