We’re taught from an early age never to lie, but in reality, sometimes it’s necessary. No, we’re not saying everyone should start lying all the time, but sometimes it really is the best option. Like when you need to protect someone’s feelings. Or, when you want to buy beer while being a freshman in college.
Recently, author Nicole Cliffe asked her Twitter followers to share their own stories of lying for personal gain. To kick things off, she shared a lie she told her then-boyfriend, to get them to move in with each other.
See? Sometimes lying is fine! Cliffe’s lie clearly worked out for the best, as she later married Steve. And at the time, it was an effective way to test her relationship without having to expose her true feelings.
In response, Cliffe’s fans had many stories of lying for personal gain. Even if you’re adamantly anti-lying, it’s still fun to read about what people are willing to lie for, how they lied, and sometimes, how they got caught. (via Bored Panda).
1. The asteroid came back to finish the job.
2. Want anything from Dunkin’ Bagels?
3. F for punctuality, A+ for problem solving.
4. This seems crazy…unless you’ve lived in a dorm.
5. Saint George of Michael.
6. Catch Me If You Can, for bankers.
7. “I won’t be in class tomorrow. I’m observing Garry Shandling’s Birthday.”
8. SPRING BREAK! WOOOOOO!
9. Jesus loves an entrepreneur.
10. Just need 41 people to die, and I’m set for life.
11. This is basically having a cheat code for high school.
12. It’s nice to be wanted.
13. Never drink and teach.
14. It’s all fun and games ’til everyone gets berry poisoning.
15. Sometimes, you gotta lie about lying.
h/t: Bored Panda