Part of a teacher’s job is to treat all of their students equally. No matter how studious or lazy the student, no matter how well-behaved or disruptive, a teacher is supposed to remain impartial. Of course, that doesn’t mean teachers can’t have biases at all. As human beings, it’s impossible for them not to. Instead, it simply means teachers aren’t allowed to be influenced by their biases–and they’re definitely not allowed to share those biases with their students.
If you wanted to learn what was really going on with teachers, you’d have to become one yourself. Fortunately, Reddit gave us the next best thing. In an Ask Reddit thread over the weekend, high school teachers were asked to share the one thing they’d never tell their students. The thread got nearly 70,000 upvotes. Teachers had a lot to get off their chests.
Honestly, these confessions are really only shocking if you’re naive enough to believe teachers are robots. Still, it’s nice to see a rare moment of honesty about what it’s like to be a teacher. If anything, these confessions make you appreciate how tough the job really is. Imagine all the stuff they’re holding back!
1. Teenagers + hormones = not very subtle
2. What’s the best form of birth control? Being a teacher.
3. Why the teacher isn’t your friend.
4. Word travels fast among the faculty.
5. No, the lesson isn’t relevant. You should still learn it anyway.
“The odds of you using any specific piece of knowledge you learn in high school is slim. The odds of you using somepiece of knowledge from high school is near absolute and you have no idea what it’s going to be or when it will happen, so you may as well try at all of it. The biggest thing you’re going to learn is how to learn.” – hey_mr_ess
6. Invest in some Febreeze, stoners.
7. The difference between “unique” and “special.”
8. Nobody likes a snitch.
9. An old teacher’s trick.
10. Don’t be memorable for the wrong reason.
11. On a slow day, you gotta make your own fun.
“Yes, I put you in a group with the kid you have a crush on intentionally. I’m stuck here with you 180 days a year, I want to see some drama.” – grumpybatman
12. What are you doing outside the classroom?!
“That it’s just as weird for me as it is for you when we bump into each other in public.” – BumblingBlunderbuss
13. Yes, they can hear you, and yes, sometimes they wanna laugh.
“That we have much better hearing than you assume. We just choose our battles as it pertains to inappropriate comments. And sometimes I pretend not to see that thing you did just because I too found it humorous, and speaking to you about it would only result in me cracking up.” – moonwalkersb
14. Someone’s dealt with a few too many helicopter moms and dads.
“Your parents are literally the worst part of my job.” – catniss32
15. Favoritism is inevitable.
“Yes, I do have favorite students. No, I won’t tell you who they are because that would discourage you, but yes, they’re probably who you imagine them to be.” – tit_wrangler