The newest remake of Dr. Seuss’s beloved Christmas story, The Grinch, hit theaters on November 9th, but the fun started before the movie was even released. To promote their upcoming film, Universal Pictures launched an ad campaign worthy of one of literature’s great killjoy’s. Across New York City and Los Angeles, a series green billboards went up mocking those very cities.
And it was a hit! Not only did the billboards themselves go viral, the movie has already made over $150 million. As far as marketing campaigns go, these billboards are actually funny and well worth a look, either if you’re a fan of Dr. Seuss, or you just want to see New York City and Los Angeles receive some well-deserved ribbing. Check ’em out and feed your inner Grinch! (via Bored Panda.)
1. Hate traffic? Surely this will fix it!
2. Don’t get your hopes up.
3. Resting Grinch Face
4. Them’s fighting words, if you live in LA.
5. You knew there would be a traffic joke.
6. And a Times Square joke.
7. Stay away from LA.
8. Hollywood: the city of (crushed) dreams!
9. New Yorkers and the Grinch: more in common than you’d think.
10. You’re not as cool as you think you are.
11. Get it? Because New York and LA are hella expensive!
12. A remake… making fun of remakes.
13. Remakes: they’re inevitable.
15. And one joke for you Bay Area residents.
h/t: Bored Panda
That darn Grinch is at it again…