Mannequins have been in use in one form or another since the 1500’s. They started off as shaped pieces to help dressmakers show off their wares, and eventually they evolved to become humanlike. By the mid 1850’s, most European department stores had mannequins in their windows.
But even though mannequins are definitely useful–they wouldn’t be in use for 500 years otherwise!–there’s still something creepy about them. Maybe it’s the unnatural poses. Or the frozen stares. Or the missing limbs. Or the way they come to life when nobody is around, and plot their overthrow of the human race. (Or so I’ve heard.)
And as creepy as mannequins are today, they were SO MUCH CREEPIER back in the day. Just take a look at this mannequin, built between 1870-1880, and try to get another restful night’s sleep in your life. You can’t:
Yeesh. We’re so much better off.
Mannequins have always been a bit creepy, so it’s easy to see why people get tempted to have fun with them. Below, we’ve got 15 mannequins that are way funnier than they have any business being. Down with creepy mannequins, up with funny ones!
1. “We ran out of berets for the French mannequins! What else can we put on their heads?”
2. This is why some people become nudists.
3. For when you want that hipster/former President look.
4. Hey, shrimp! Ever heard of bicep curls?
5. Down with unrealistic beauty standard!
6. Your kid’s gonna hate this shirt. And here’s how that will look!
7. Sally, stop that.
8. “I wanna see how the wedding dress will look if I’m considering getting back together with my ex.”
9. They said khaki pants couldn’t be sexy. And they were right.
10. Business 101: know your customers.
11. The perfect suit for the businessman who loves work almost as much as cocaine.
12. What to wear to the job that’s crushing your spirit.
13. His girlfriend just left him for a CPR dummy.
14. Gollum’s had a hard time finding work since the Lord of the Rings movies.
15. And finally, this is why parents should always carry an extra bottle of formula.
h/t: Bored Panda
Some of these mannequins might need to get their own sitcoms…