I read a statistic once that nearly half of all pregnancies weren’t planned, and that kind of blew my mind. It doesn’t mean, of course, that half of babies aren’t wanted, just that they’re not expected for one reason or the other – which means there are a lot of people out there shocked and trying to wrap their heads around the idea of a new human in their home.
If you’re wondering what that’s like (or if your reaction to such news is “normal”) here are 15 people who have been there and are willing to share their initial thoughts on the matter.
15. Time is sometimes all you need.
Once they arrive, everything is, indeed, different.
14. It can change your life in ways you didn’t expect.
Because you know you need to take care of this little human.
13. Humans are remarkably resilient.
Planning makes us feel more in control.
12. That’s why we have options, my friends.
For so, so many reasons.
11. Destiny might be knocking at your door.
But if it’s not, that’s ok too.
10. It can take some time to get used to.
And then, you can’t imagine things any other way.
9. You never know for sure how things are going to turn out.
That’s just being human.
8. That’s an understatement.
Be grateful and roll with it!
7. Feelings are complicated.
So is being a parent. Just sit with it for awhile.
6. Kids have a way of changing your mind.
Even on their less delightful days.
5. It’s fine if this is the way you feel.
Parenthood requires a lot of sacrifice.
4. Sometimes you just know it’s right.
Dreams come true at the oddest of times.
3. You need a good support system.
A village, really, if you can manage it.
2. The timing can also be really tough.
And hard decisions have to be made.
1. Time to turn things around.
You’ve never had a better reason!
I’ve gotta say, it’s quite the surprise (usually a good one, but not always).
If you’ve been there, what was your gut reaction? Share it with us in the comments!