If you’re a mom, there’s a good chance you’ve been shamed for something during your tenure. From the very first decisions we make – whether or not to breastfeed, where our babies sleep, et al – other moms are there to tell us why we’re doing it wrong.
It never stops, as far as I can tell, and the internet has definitely put this toxic culture on steroids. Now we can shame other moms we don’t even know and not just the ones who attend our PTA meetings!
If you want to feel better about your own experience, just check out the silly reasons these 13 moms came under fire.
13. She’s got better things to do.
Which is absolutely a fair choice.
12. Wait, I thought sugar was bad?
I’m relieved I’m not bad for having cookies anymore.
11. It’s part of your responsibility.
Maybe everyone just do their thing and see how the kids turn out.
10. You never know what’s going on behind the scenes.
Also, it’s none of your business.
9. No two kids are the same.
It stands to reason they would have different sorts of parents, too.
8. Some kids are feral.
Feral kids need to be saved from themselves.
7. Wow I guess someone needs to call CPS on me.
And every other parent who takes their kid to McDonald’s.
6. I think it’s less normal if your kid doesn’t have a snotty nose.
Gotta get those immune systems bulked up before school.
5. That’s not even that old.
The WHO recommends nursing until a child is three.
4. Television is like everything else – fine in moderation.
And yeah, maybe don’t throw stones from a glass house.
3. What harm could that possibly do?
I guess women for thousands of years were just terrible parents for not guessing right ahead of time.
2. Women in France do it.
From what I understand, their children are perfect.
1. Mind your business, sir.
But also if you can get my kids to eat broccoli, you’re hired as a babysitter.
I get saying something in moments where a child might be in actual danger, but short of that, we gotta do better at living and letting others do the same.
What’s your most memorable moment of being mom shamed? Share it with us in the comments!